TV is more popular now than 10 years ago

Date: 17/11/2015 | Comments

TV is more popular now than 10 years ago

World TV day is on November 21st

In the first half of 2015 Irish adults aged 15+ spent an average of 3 hours and 30 minutes viewing TV each day. 10 years ago that total was 3 hours and 5 minutes.

2005 is the year that Youtube launched, there were no PVRs, no smartphones, no tablets, no Netflix, no video on demand. The ability to series link, pause and rewind live TV was something that could only be imagined. According to TAM Ireland, in 2005 we watched on average 3 hours and 5 minutes of live TV every day.

Fast forward to 2015 and PVRs are in  58% of homes, 80% of homes have broadband,  we have Netflix, Youtube, Facebook, VOD, Smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, connected games consoles and in 2015 we watched on average 3 hours and 8 minutes of  Live TV daily.

Back in 2005 our total time spent viewing TV was 3 hours 5 minutes per day – this has now increased to 3 hours 30 minutes per day – the additional time being spent viewing time-shift TV (up to 7 days after broadcast) Time-shift viewing accounts for 10% of all TV viewing and Live TV accounts for the remaining 90%.

The total time we spend using our TV set is also increasing and we now spend almost 4 hours a day using our TV set (3 hrs 56 mins). Of course now-a-days we can do far more with our TV than just viewing TV, we have the ability to watch Video on Demand, play Games, browse the web and access our PVR for viewing TV content beyond the 7 day window.

Even when all of this is taken into account we spend at least 94% of our time with our TV set, viewing TV generated content: Live, time-shift or other PVR usage –viewing TV generated content via broadcaster on-demand and catch-up services or previously recorded content .

Commenting on these figures, Jill McGrath, CEO of TAM Ireland said “As we celebrate World TV Day this year it is great to see that the shelf life of TV content is expanding and we are expanding our time with our TV set to ensure we never miss great content. The more ways there are to view TV – the more TV we view.”

Source: TAM Ireland/Nielsen: Jan-Jun2005 Adults 15+ avg time spent . Jan –Jun 2015 Adults 15+ avg time spent, Jan – June 2015 Adults 15+ total set usage